Thursday, November 1, 2012

What this is...

This blog is my attempt to share my experiences flying around Europe in a Diamond DA-40. If you don't kow what a Diamond DA-40 is, then there is a good chance this blog is not for you. If, however, you ARE a pilot and fly some kind of SEP plane or similar, these stories might be helpful or at least interesting.


Copenhagen's Kastrup airport.
I am writing this for pilots, so I'll write it as if I was speaking to pilots. People who don't fly might therefore not understand some of this, so: fair warning.

Background

I have an SEP certificate from Sweden with night qualification. I am now working on my IR ticket, but all the flying I've done so far is VFR. I fly a DA-40 NG, the new one with Diamnond's own Austro diesel engine, rated at about 165hp. My plane, SE-MDV, has the G1000 with integrated AP, storm scope and traffic warning system. As far as I can tell, it is the ultimate DA-40, and is perhaps one of the most modern SEP GA systems on the market. 

However, the mission is the determining factor when selecting an airplane. My mission was to be able to fly around Europe (I am based near Stockholm), fly IFR when I get that rating, have decent range and speed, but also be fuel-efficient. I also wanted to be able to carry more than one passenger on occasion along with reasonable luggage.

SDV on the tarmac at Wiener Neustadt East,
Diamond's own aerodrome
SE-MDV flies at a typical TAS of 120-130 kts at 70% power, using 23 lph (6gph) of JetA. Range is about 4hrs with VFR reserves. That means I can fly from Stockholm to Lubeck, re-fuel, and then reach London, Paris, Dijon, Munich, etc. That just about defines my mission. I flew to Oslo and back once and got better mileage than I would have in my modest 4-cylinder diesel car. Of course, it took two hours instead of 6-7. 

Other pilots might prioritize a higher cruising speed. I understand that a turbo Cirrus, similar in panel technology and useful load, will cruise at a TAS of around 180-200, but it demands far greater fuel flow and runs on avgas.

As to my own background, I have about 260 hours. I've flown a total of about 500 flights between city pairs that have a total distance between them of 15,000+ NGM. All of it in Europe. Much of it in Scandinavia, of course.

The stories in this blog will be focused on the different aerodromes I've flown to with SDV, including whatever I think was interesting about the airspaces, controllers, etc. I hope this is of some value to some of you.

/Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment in the spirit of the blog: to be helpful and informative.